- Insert the Recovery/Install DVD into the computer.
- Boot off of the DVD. When you first start your computer, the first screen you see should give you the key combination to press to enter a 'multi-boot' menu. On an HP, hit Esc then F9 for the boot menu (or F11 for recovery if you don't have a DVD). On a Dell, hit F12 for the boot menu. It varies by each manufacturer. Once you find it and are at the multi-boot menu, choose to boot from CD/DVD.
- When prompted (after it has booted to the DVD) choose "repair my computer" and enter the command prompt.
- Type C: (with colon) and press enter.
- Then type cd c:\windows\winsxs and press enter.
- Then type del pending.xml and press enter.
- Restart your computer.
This blog is where I share tips, tricks, and tools in hopes of helping others to use technology more safely, securely, and successfully.
Monday, September 10, 2012
Get Out of a Windows 7 Update Loop
If you've just installed Windows Updates and Windows is stuck in a loop of applying updates and then rebooting, try this method (adapted from an answer in this forum):
Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)
Post a Comment